21 September 2008

The Big 'I'

I = Incredible
N = Noisy
D = Density
I = Intrusive
A = Amazing

My trip to Chennai, India, was nothing short of "eye-opening"! From the moment I stepped out of the airport until when I got back to the airport to head home 5 days later. The city is INCREDIBLE - it is incredibly PACKED! The people were nothing short of incredible too! They were incredibly accommodating, 'yes' to everything (but actually delivering is another story altogether).

It is NOISY! We joked that the locals can drive without a steering wheel but not without a horn. It was like the honk replaced the indicators, informing other drivers that they are going to be cutting right in front of you (heads on at times). The vehicles actually remove their side mirrors! Not surprising considering a 3 lane road is really, a 5 lane road.

DENSITY is an understatement. The streets are packed! With taxis, their version of a "tuk tuk" called an "auto", cars, motorbikes and lop-sided buses! Yes, people DO hang out the buses - just like what you see on TV!

INTRUSIVE behaviour - it's not you, nor them, it's just the way it is! The Indians have no idea what personal space means. You encounter this "closeness" the moment you get off the plane. Their trolleys, laden with the flat screen TVs, blankets and toasters from Mustaffa, roll right into you. They are simply oblivious to the fact that others around them happen to be human beings. On the flight en-route to Chennai, I had a big belly in my face everytime the seat belt sign went off - Mr "Govindasamy" (like I know his name...) had to open the overhead compartment each time. I say "open" and not "take something" cos he NEVER took anything. It's like, he just had to open to check that his trolley was still there! Argh!

Having said rather nasty things so far, I think Chennai was an AMAZING experience. From the busy cross junctions where vehicles give way to crossing cows, to the beautiful hotel (http://www.raintreehotels.com/) I was put up at, I must say I have learnt to appreciate the order we live in, the neighbours we live with, the environment we so often take for granted.

Amidst the disorder, Chennai does have a certain charm. It is a city of extremes - the filthy rich, the unthinkably poor; the run-down houses lining the dusty streets, the stand alone houses stretching for acres (some complete with a real forest with real deer and fed cows); the rusty buses, the gleaming BMWs...

I never got to take many photos but the images are edged in my memory for sure. I may return, next time more prepared. Much more prepared to appreciate the city for what it is not.


Road disorder & an "Auto"

1 comment:

ddp said...

Good Info. Raintree Hotel is one the Best Restaurants in Chennai