1 September 2007

Sinking In

As the month draws to a close, it's finally sinking in that I'll be leaving Swissotel in five weeks (or less if leave is approved). I'll miss the office (the people, that is) especially. As I walk through the trolley infested back-of-house corridor every morning, I do a silent countdown. Everything is so familiar to me - the people, the corridors, the smell (my colleagues will understand what I mean)... It's going to take me some time before I experience the same familiarity again. And despite bitching about the true unglamourous hotel life, I think I'm going to miss it. I've been working in a hotel environment for almost 7 years now. From dingy corridors with stark white fluorescent lights to lobbies with nice piped-in music and warm, cosy lighting. The difference is quite dramatic. I remember stomping in my heels and looking most dishevelled and pissed, heading to the lobby to meet an unreasonable guest kicking up a fuss because his room was not ready - the moment you get to the door leading to the lobby, all professionalism kicks in and you naturally look up, walk straight and SMILE. That's what working in a hotel has taught me. The grooming, those stockings (in the heat!), the suit (must be black - although I refused to conform and became one of the few who dared to wear a WHITE suit).

I admit that it was when I joined corporate office that I slackened in my dressing since I don't have to be around the lobby, meet as many guests etc. But until today, I feel "naked" without stockings ha ha!

I'll still be in the hospitality industry but it's going to be different I'm sure. But then again, who says serviced apartments should be less formal than hotels?




No comments: